Monday, July 1, 2024

EXERCISE IS NOT A WASTE OF TIME

 Yes, our bodies are wonderfully created, but…HOW MUCH WORK DOES IT TAKE…to maintain your wonderfully made body? "I will praise You; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; marvelous are Your works; and that my soul knows right well." Psalm 139:14.

The more that we discover today about a human body’s makeup (according to biologists), the more we do not know. How to create life? Unknown. Where is the mind? Inspiration? Creativity? Where does the breath in our lungs come from? Unknown. The soul? Do we have one? "And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul." Genesis 2:7. Your breath and your soul come from God. I have a soul…and a mind and a fearfully and wonderfully created Spirit, and Body:  "And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ." I Thessalonians 5:23.

We have wonderfully made bodies. We sometimes take them for granted. At the age of eighty-one I am finding that exercise is not a waste of time. In a previous Blog I described in brief a lower abdomen pain that slowly developed until I realized something was very wrong.

It has turned out that after a bicycle accident about two years ago, slowly I realized that I “dropped the ball.” and took the demanding work of past exercise (biking, aerobics, walking) as guarantee for a lifetime of freedom from pain. Not so.

Feeling lost (after two CT Scans and many other tests,) the pain was still a mystery. Prayer, study of Scripture and faith in God’s goodness to answer my prayer, began to emerge. When a friend, who knew my pain, came across a video about exercise for “Lower Pelvic Prolapse” the symptoms were mine. I began immediately to follow the instructions for strengthening my core and lower abdomen. So instead of worsening pain, my body began to strengthen. Exercise is not a waste of time. Given the right conditions often the body heals itself Exercise strengthens weak muscles.

Now, with a couple of weeks of core strengthening, the pain is beginning to fade. My job? Keep it up for the rest of my life: God enabling me.

It’s hard to begin exercise (again). What is dreary and dreaded at first will become exciting when the results, the healing starts. I will report back as this journey progresses.

Keep going…just do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment